It's off again to Stamford for another meeting. I can't wait for this company divesting deal with Dymo to go away so I can avoid these last minute meetings. It's been a busy month and getting worse, I will be in California (Ca-lee-for-nee-ah, as Ah-nald would say) during the weekend for an office move then back to New York for meetings on Tuesday and back out again to Arizona on Wed-Friday. I was also asked to be in St. Louis today but Stamford took priority, and may need to go to Toronto in a couple of weeks (trying to get out of that one as my boss will be in town the same week), oh, and It's been suggested that I attend another meeting in Belgium in the next few weeks (I told them no-way, no-how). Good thing they cut my department travel budget (although I am technically on the corporate budget which I padded for just such a reason).
I always wonder when passing through the Throgs-Neck bridge why it was named as such so here it is and wonder no more:
THE ORIGIN OF "THROGGS" NECK: Actually, the man for whom the southeast Bronx community was named after went by the name "Throckmorton." In 1631, John Throckmorton and his wife, Rebecca, sailed from England with Roger Williams and seventeen other passengers aboard the "Lyon" and arrived in John Winthrop's colony in Massachusetts. Because of religious persecution in Massachusetts, Throckmorton moved with Williams to Rhode Island to form a new colony based on religious tolerance.
Fearing imminent invasion by the Massachusetts colony, Throckmorton fled to the southeast Bronx in 1642. With the permission of the Dutch governor of New York, Throckmorton started his colony with 35 families. However, due to an Indian uprising, the colony only lasted one year. Link to source

On the Throgs-Neck Bridge again.

3 comments:
insightful and informative, you are so precious!
Love ya,
Heather
i was going to say the same thing. except for the precious part. i guess THROCK bridge didn't sound as good as THROGS did.
Wow, you travel a lot. Well maybe down the road you can say that you have visited every state in the USA, quite an acomplishment. I feel bad for Heather and your "children,"(not kids) the traveling and having you gone a lot is probably hardest on them. Hang in there.
Post a Comment