Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Stay away! Back to School madness

Funny story. So Isabelle went to school and there is always something that we missed for school supplies and therefore have to get them for the next day. So being the smart, caring father I decided to stop by Staples on my way home from work so that Isabelle could have her yellow highlighters and 3 composition notebooks for class on Thursday. I instantly knew I had a problem when I found that it took 20min or more to find a parking spot in a rather large lot. So I walk into the store and there before me is pure chaos in it's finest hour. I've never seen so many people packed in one store, literally every square foot was occupied by an individual (a fire marshals dream I'm sure).

I fought my way through the masses and luckily the notebooks and highlighters were on displays near the front of the store and then I proceeded to blend in with the rest of the consumers to wait in line. I noticed that the lines went to the back of the store and wrapped up and down the isles for all registers but one particular line took a sharp right turn into another line and I just got in that one (express lane for the non-sheep I say, baaaa). Needless to say the lines moved slower than molasses and even though I had a short 30 feet or so it still took forever. If you have ever been in this type of situation, you will recognize that most people get very awnery after a couple of hours stuck in line, let me tell you, you don't know nothin till you wait with a bunch of impatient, cuss'n new yorker's! So I get to the cash register and go to pay for my meager 4 items and get my receipt and look down and you can follow the conversation: "excuse me, where is my stuff? Where did you put them?", "what stuff?", "umh, you know, the stuff I just paid for and you scanned and bagged?", "I don't know what you are talking about, I have no idea!", at this point I am given the New York "I'm ignoring you" treatment.

Being the sensible person I am, I then proceeded to fight my way back into the masses and collected for a second time the original items and went back to the cashier and asked for a bag, then bagged my items in her clear sight and explained that I am now taking the items that are on my receipt and leaving. "ya, whatever" and with a brush of the hand I was done.

After this wonderful experience I get home and of course my loving, caring, wonderful daughter who knows what Herculean lengths I went through to get her the items says "you got the wrong colors! way to go dad..." sigh... As a side note, my stupid company manufactures composition notebooks and I can get a case for nothing if I want, you can imagine the irony. Some day I'll have to tell you about my adventures in the office trying to find a pack of Oxford index cards (another fine product that my company makes, good luck finding one in the office!).

Staples on a Wednesday late afternoon, unbelievable crowds.

No comments: