Well, you were right Dad! I found a wedge at Home Depot and got to work while the weather was good today. We have already burned through the pile in the garage and I have refilled it once since you and I did it. My "indestructible" axe (yes, it actually says that on the handle) is now cracked and split the length of the handle in several places right up by the head of the axe, I suppose it is very dangerous and I expect it will fly off and kill me one of these times, but it still works. I don't have a proper sledge hammer and thus, use the back side of the axe head to pound the wedge. Every bone in my body feels shattered and sore by whacking the steel on steel effect with the wedge but it is amazing how well a simple wedge can split a huge log, while an axe blow will bounce off and not scratch it. Tonight we are going to the Ward Christmas party (Dinner and music, which I am singing in of course).

Dad was right, a wedge works wonders on big logs

2 comments:
About time!!
I would invest in a small hydraulic log spilitter.
Post a Comment